Peyronie’s disease is related to the penis. It is common in males. It is also known as penile curvature. By 1561, the first case of penile curvature was observed. The disease was not completely described until 1743. It is a condition in which the penis is slightly curved to the right or left.
Everyone has a unique body. The size, shape or appearance of the penis is not the same in every male. The penis is straight when the person has an erection. But it is natural to have curvature in the penis. The penis is curved up, down, left or right. It is present in by birth or develops later in life. In this disorder, under the skin of the penis, scar tissue is formed. The scar tissue is also known as plaque.
Cause of Peyronie’s disease through plaque
- It is caused by injury to the penis.
- It is not the same plaque that can develop in a person’s arteries
- The beginning of penis curvature can not be cancerous, and a tumor
The phase of the plaque
The cause of Peyronie’s disease is described in two phases and there are two types of phases: acute and chronic.
During this phase, the formation of plaque begins and lasts up to 18 months.
- Occurring Inflammation and plaque forms on your penis.
- Penis starts to curve.
- Penis hurts without an erection.
- When scars develop, erections become painful.
The chronic phase starts after the formation of plaque. The chronic phase begins 12 to 18 months after the appearance of symptoms.
Plaque stabilizes and does not get worse.
It lessens the pain in the penis.
Erectile dysfunction develops or becomes worse.
Symptoms of penile curvature
Peyronie’s disease has various signs and symptoms that appear suddenly or gradually. The most common signs and symptoms are as follows:
- Scar tissue. The scar tissue related to Peyronie’s disease is known as plaque. It is not the same as plaque that forms in blood vessels. It is under the skin of the penis. It is flat lumps and like a band of hard tissue.
- A bend in the penis. The penis of the patient is curved up or down and bent to one side.
- Problems of erection: Peyronie’s disease causes problems in getting or maintaining erectile dysfunction. The erectile dysfunction can be reported before the beginning of Peyronie’s disease symptoms.
- The penis getting short: the penis becomes short in Peyronie’s disease.
- Pain: patients have penile pain, with or without an erection.
- Penile deformity. In some men with Peyronie’s disease, the erect penis has an hourglass-like appearance and a narrowing indentation.
The patient has to go to the urologist if he feels any symptoms. A specialized doctor in urinary problems is known as a Urologist. The Best Urologist in Ludhiana is present at RG Stone Urology & Laparoscopy Hospital Ludhiana.
Treatment for penile curvature
Non-surgical and surgical methods can treat penile curvature.
- Nonsurgical method: injections, oral medicines and some medical therapies are given by the doctor in the acute phase. Medicines are directly injected into the plaque through injections; these are called intralesional injections.
- Surgical method: doctors do not suggest surgery until the improvement of symptoms stops, and patients feel the pain during erection and intercourse. The surgeries are helpful for removing the plaque from the penis and straightening the penis.
Penile curvature is a common disease in men, and it is a curable disease. Patients should go to the best doctors. The RG hospital is the best hospital for urological problems and Gallstones surgery in Ludhiana.