Uterine fibroid is the most common benign solid tumor of the female genital tract & is diagnosed in approx 25-30% of females. The incidence increases in the later years of women’s reproductive years.
Signs & Symptoms
- Uterine leiomyomas are frequently asymptomatic in which case no treatment is required.
- In other cases fibroids cause heavy menstrual bleeding with menstrual cramps or both.
- Some women have difficulty in conceiving.
- Sometimes they apply pressure on the surrounding organs like the bladder and the ureters giving rise to difficulty in emptying the bladder or cause backpressure changes leading to hydronephrosis.
- Hemoglobin – to detect anemia.
- Clinical examination.
- Ultrasound pelvis.
Uterine Fibroids Treatment in Ludhiana, Punjab
- Do nothing: If the fibroids are small and not giving rise to any symptoms, no active treatment is required. The patient is advised for regular check-up by annual USG pelvis just to monitor the size of the fibroid.
- Medication: This can be given to shrink the fibroids temporarily to control symptoms such as painful or heavy periods. They are not a permanent cure for fibroids.
- Surgery: Offered when the symptoms are not controlled with medication or the fibroids are too big/growing too rapidly.
Minimal Access Surgeries for Uterine Fibroids
- Laparoscopic Myomectomy: When the female is young and wants to preserve her uterus then through this keyhole surgery the myoma or the fibroid is removed by a uterine fibroids specialist in Ludhiana.
- Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy: If the women has completed her family & is having multiple fibroids, then the uterus is removed along with the fibroids.
- Hysteroscopic Myomectomy: If the fibroid is encroaching the uterine cavity (i.e submucus in position) a Hysteroscopic Myomectomy is done.